Saturday, March 21, 2015

So...how did you get from where you were, to where you are?

My Story


I had always been a "big Canadian girl" and everyone said "that's the way you're supposed to be". At my thinnest, in high school (where I met my hubby), throughout college and when I got married, I was a happy and healthy size 12.  

So what happened?  

I gained almost 100 pounds each time I was pregnant, that's what!  And I had my girls back to back! I was pregnant, nursed my eldest daughter for one year, then right away I was pregnant with my youngest and nursed her for one year as well.  I'm pretty sure I don't have to tell you how busy I was with two children under the age of 2!  After a couple of years I decided to try the Atkins "diet" and I did get myself back into my size 12's.  Mission accomplished, right?  Not quite....my hubby was offered another job in another city, well actually, another country....Orange County California to be exact!  Unfortunately, our girls had already started the year at school and we didn't want to take them out and throw them into a brand new school part way through the year.  So we decided that hubby would go ahead of us and the girls and I would join him once the school year was over. That's where it all started to go downhill.

I had two small children, ages 6 and 8, who were in bed every evening by 7pm.  So what is a stay at home mom to do every evening, alone, with all of her chores and laundry done for the day?  Drink a bottle of wine and eat a plate of nachos and cheese every single night, of course!  So, my weight started to creep back up.  By the time we moved to SoCal I was a very uncomfortable size 18.

So, what happened?  What was my A-ha moment?  I am honestly not sure when it was or what happened.  What I can tell you I was absolutely miserable.  I was so unhappy with myself it was starting to affect EVERYTHING in my life.  Thats when my husband did one of the best things he ever could have done for me...he gifted me with a Mommy Make-Over.

A Mommy Make-Over consists of cosmetic surgery procedures that restore a woman's post-pregnancy body.  And that's all I have to say about that...google it if you want all the gory details.  I thought that was it.  That this was the best me I was ever going to be.  Boy was I wrong!  My hubby then hooked me up with a personal trainer, once I was cleared to start working out.  For the first time in my life I was working out 5 days a week in a gym!

My trainer not only helped me to change my body composition, she also showed me a healthier way of eating.  With her help and guidance I began noticing big changes in myself.  It was thrilling!  I had no idea I could do the things I was doing (running with my family - half-marathons too!) and see the changes I was seeing (I had abs!).  In the end I had lost over 85 pounds and was now a size 6!!!!!!

Were it not for my absolutely amazing and supportive husband and children, or the help of a wonderful personal trainer, I would not be the happy and healthy woman I am today.

I am so grateful for ALL the experiences in my life.  I wouldn't be the person I am today with out them.  That's why I decided to become a personal trainer myself.  I've been in your shoes, I know how you feel!  I also know with the proper guidance, support, knowledge and lots of determination, your goals of a happier and healthier life are totally attainable!  
Trust me!  I've BEEN THERE, LOST THAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment